End of the Year Round-Up
Wow, wow, wow! Where do I begin? I must say that I truly missed writing a blog post. I’ve missed the feeling of typing my thoughts here and connecting with folks across the nation and world. Well here we are…2020, a ratchet and filthy a$$ mess.
So much has happened to us this year…however, I would consider 2020 to be one of the best years I’ve experienced in a long time. Per usual, I want to break this year down into categories: friendships, career, romance, and mental health/spirituality. With that being said, grab yourself a drink, tea, Adderall, Bible, or whatever makes you smile and…enjoy!
I would start this section off with “I’ve been tested” and leave it there; but I won’t. This year I went into therapy. I made a vow in 2019 that 2020 was the year that’ll get to the root of my emotions, my actions, and more. 2019 was a hot mess emotionally, and the years beyond that too. I just didn’t understand why I was always in the same damn emotional cycles. It was exhausting. Thankfully (yay, insurance), I had a therapist that was literally the answer to all of my complex thoughts and emotions. She ripped my edges (metaphorically of course) on countless in-person and virtual visits. I truly, truly appreciate her, and specifically needed a black woman as my therapist because chile, I’ve had experiences with non-black therapists…and we just won’t go there today.
As for my mental health, and spirituality, I’ve grown tremendously…I’m giving myself permission to question and to explore. I am giving myself the opportunity to fully listen to the Holy Spirit (my institution), and to do the things that my heart truly needs. My ultimate goal for 2021, and for the rest of my life is to just be. To authentically be myself, and to love without limits. (Not gonna lie, this last sentence screams Hallmark, but idgaf.)
feeling anxious? here’s some helpful gems I’ve learned….
- focus on the good
- gratitude, gratitude, gratitude
- put your thoughts on trial (learn more here)
- there’s something on the other side of fear
- talk it out, write it out, scream it out (whatever works for you)
- you will be more than okay + everything literally ALWAYS work out
here’s what I’ve learned about romance in 2020….
- fall in love with yourself and stay in gratitude
- screw the “rules,” create your own
- Corinthians 13:4-8
- Don’t follow relationship videos on YT and social media…AVOID THEM ALL!!!!! lol (just from personal experience)
- order this book: Mastery of Love by Don Miguel Ruiz
- your worth isn’t dependent on “them,” you are already whole!
- date multiple ppl at once OR one at a time…do what works for you not society
- you will attract the right energies/vibrations when you’re at peace with being alone
- stick to your standards…don’t lower them
- trust the process + don’t rush
- if it’s meant to be, it’ll be
- have fun + be authentically you
It’s official, I can finally admit it…I am a CERTIFIED WORKAHOLIC and 2020 has revealed that to me quickly (I have goals y’all!) Don’t worry, I do take many breaks and enjoy my wins whenever they come about. BUT, I just truly and genuinely love, love, love my career and I can ultimately say that this life chose me. Not gonna lie, but I have my ups and downs with my career, but I love the industry. It is a part of who I am and I am grateful to be someone who creates content for the masses.
here’s what I’ve learned about being a workaholic in 2020….
- take healthy risks
- take breaks and be okay with resting
- work is just a small piece of our identity…don’t make work be your total self
- right before work begins, have a quiet moment to yourself…pray, mediate, dance party, or all three at the same time.
- work, life, balance is so real
- set goals and smash them
- advocate for yourself + speak up, speak up, speak up
- stay in gratitude
- chase after your dreams even if it appears to be daunting…there’s always something on the other side.
I truly believe 2020 really has showed me the value of true friendships, and I am blessed to have an amazing tribe of people that I can consider extended family.
here’s what I’ve learned about friendships in 2020…
- be a friend to yourself so that you’ll know how to treat others
- support, support, support, your friends! doesn’t have to be monetary
- Proverbs 27:9
- it’s okay to be vulnerable with your friends (if you feel comfortable!)
- value phone calls, and make them (if you have time of course)
- like any other relationships, friendships take work
- laughter is medicine
- real and genuine people still existence
- don’t resort to cutting ppl off, rather have a conversation first (be mature sis lol)
Most importantly, one thing that 2020 has taught me is that you cannot control the outcome. No matter how much effort, work, tenacity, and grit; the outcome will remain the same. Either it is meant for you or not. It was a tough realization to learn this year, but an important one. I hope you are able to find some helpful gems in this post or maybe some that you’ve picked up along the way this year. Let me know in the comments!
Welp, that’s all folks! I’m truly hopeful for 2021, and I pray that every last one of you who is reading this post gets every single thing they ever wanted and hoped for in 2021. I pray that each day you have an abundance of peace, happiness, and hope. I am looking forward to this New Year, and I look forward to seeing you all soon. Happy New Year!!!!
See ya in 2021 bby!